Monday, September 16, 2013

Introduction: Myself, The Business, The Blog...

Myself:

My name is Ben Carpenter and I have been involved in many side projects and industries over the years. My most recent adventure was a firearms business i named Kanawha Valley Tactical. KVT was probably the most successful business venture I have been involved with to date. I currently work full time but there is still that feeling of success over KVT that keeps pulling me back. I have years of experience in various fields that have brought me to where I am. Using this experience I plan to walk each of my subscribers through Firearms Refinishing and Customization. Since I have placed it on the back-burner, I thought this would be the perfect time to share with the future of our industry.

The Business:

KVT was founded in the living room of my house after months and months of learning a few new trades. I decided, against my girlfriends better judgement, to open - promote - and operate a custom firearms company from the ground up. To all our our surprise; my local market accepted me with open arms and to this day I am thankful to all who supported me through that first year or working all the bugs out.

KVT offered many services ranging from simple gunsmith cleaning work to the "complicated" multiple layered hand painted digital camo patterns that made us stand out from the crowd. We did several restoration projects but our focus was on the "cool" guns - or yet, turning regular guns into cool guns for an affordable price.

In May 2013 I made the decision to place KVT and all its processes on hold. At this point in my/our live(s) it was more important to have free time and family time than to be consumed inside a small building covered in paint and grease. At the height of production in the shop KVT had net incomes of just over $1900 per month (that is NET - after all expenses) and a waiting list of nearly 3 weeks for a project to be completed. To this day, KVT remains on hold pending personal matters; but with hope, support, and luck - one day KVT may see the light at the end of the tunnel once more.

The Blog:

This blog is a project that I have decided to take on in order to clear my mind of everything that I know how to do - and how NOT to do. A few weeks ago I sold some left over inventory to a gentleman that owns a store about 3 hours away from me. He came to me and as a fan of my work asked if I could help him learn the trade since I was no longer active. After careful thought I took a buddy and made a trip to see the gentleman. He explained to me that he had spent HOURS upon HOURS watching YouTube, reading online, and taking to other companies and after all his work and learning he told me that he had no idea what he was doing - right or wrong. Because of this man and his honest approach I have decided to share what I know with all of you - if anyone is reading. Let me first make a quick shout out to Twisted Metal Firearms for these are the guys that I helped and in return they inspired me to share my knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment